SPROAT LAKE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION DIRECTORS’ MEETING MINUTES.
THURSDAY, February 12TH, 2015 at 7 pm.
ALBERNI VALLEY REGIONAL AIRPORT
Geo Monrufet; Heidi Zimmermann; Elaine Gray; Chris Law; Joe VanBergen; Stan Kujala, and Bette Hansen.
ACRD Rep. Penny Cote
Stan Kujala welcomes everyone and calls the meeting to order.
Treasurer’s Report: Nancy Harvey, NA
Bette Hansen reads the minutes of the last meeting.
– Moved by Joe V, Seconded by Stan K. that the Minutes be adopted as read. Carried.
SL Road Committee:
Joe VanBergen reports concerns over poor road conditions, along Stirling Arm Drive, Faber, Lakeshore and McCoy Lake Road. Continuous log hauling is causing damage to our roads. Roads all around Sproat Lake area are rapidly corroding.
Joe met with a rep from Nanaimo in regards to the conditions of our roads. No money is available for road repair. Penny suggests we call Emcon and MoT regarding centre lines, for the roads. The savings from unused winter road plowing, and salting budget will pay for the lines. Geo suggests we request input from school bus drivers regarding road conditions. Stan suggests we go right to the Minister of Transportation regarding the dire conditions of our roads. We must continue to complain if we wish to see some action. Joe offers to write another letter to the Ministry of transportation including photos.
Heidi Zimmermann – SLCA discusses that the website looks really good. Heidi reports that Alex Skelly offers to provide photos with Copyright. Also, a link to Transport Canada boat safety site is important to add.
To provide information for the website go to firstname.lastname@example.org
SL Community Hall:
Stan and Geo – annual contract maintenance grounds clean up report. Picnic tables still need work.
- Dolan’s completes Community Hall heat, so heating is done. A new thermostat is installed. Heat System is working well. Cost of the propane came to: $2932.50.
- Roof still leaks following installation. Thanks to Brian for repairing the roof.
- Community Hall rental reservation for 2015– August long weekend for the Paddlers.
- Request for 2 donated fridges; 2 stoves; cupboards, and bathrooms need attention. One donation is a new fridge, and is arriving soon. Need new cupboards, possibly from someone doing renovations, and lino for bathroom floors. Stan plans to do some measuring. Quotes to be requested.
- Coulson FIFT is likely to discontinue the use of the hall basement, so it may be available for others.
- AVRA – SL Community Hall ball field restoration and 2015 dates. Craig Bowerman gave an estimate for improving the ball field. Craig Bowerman gave an estimate for installing small culvert and putting in 120’ of driveway, leveling ruts, and clearing brush for $3,500.00 plus GST. Stan recommends we install lock boxes, and gate the ball field. Regatta Association presumes to make a donation toward the cost of the ball field. McCoy Lake excavating will give a quote. Moved by Chris, Seconded by Joe that the Community Association spend up to $3,000 on improvements to the upper ball field. Carried
- Dragon boat paddlers show an interest in using the Hall and basement.
- Bob Cole contacts Penny in regards to the feasibility of a Pickle Ball Court behind the hall.
- Penny will bring up the idea of putting in a Community Garden, on the Hall grounds at the General Meeting.
SL Parks Report:
Penny – TBA
– SLCA Group Spring Water Test date April 20th, 2015. Joe offers to run the samples to Courtenay.
– Derelict wharves: Boat houses floating in Two Rivers Arm. Whose responsibility? Question in the Winter/Spring 2015 SL Newsletter for discussion at the SLCA AGM. Discourage residents from purchasing Raw styrofoam docks. Message will go out in the next newsletter and go out as a post, on the website. We will discuss this matter at the next AGM. The owners of abandoned derelict boathouses will receive letters to take care of this issue, if possible.
– AVCF – $350k applications for community assets, application for trail work, submitted but not granted. Penny discusses projects that are funded.
Chris Law, AVCF Manager:
Successful Open House held on Dec 11, 2014. Chris displays the maps, and shows plans for 2015 timber harvesting.
– SLCA AGM Monday, February 23rd, 2015 at 7 pm. will take place at the SL Community Hall – Executive Elections and ACRD 2015 draft budget. Penny put out a Newsletter to announce SLCA AGM agenda, and to include reports.
Geo discusses the issues with people who live in house boats. Stan suggests we write to Transport Canada to acquire about implementing more laws.
– Request for movement, towards developing access to the lake from Bomber Base Rd. And also to develop Docks and moorage for paddle type boats, and raising money for such a project. – (see above) Joe VanBergen
Adjourn at 9:30 pm.