THURSDAY, APRIL 16TH, 2015 at 7 pm 

Alberni Valley Regional Airport Terminal Building

Minutes 04-16-2015


In Attendance:

Stan Kujala; Bet Broome; Rene Lacoursiere; Joe VanBergen; Greg Steele; Geo Monrufet; Nancy Harvey; Bette Hansen; Paul Andrew; Brian Cote, and ACRD rep. Penny Cote

Guests: Darryl Holt and Marilyn Oldfield.

Regrets: John Mayba; Heidi Zimmermann; Chris Law;

Elane Gray; and Roger Login.


President’s Message:

Stan Kujala welcomes the Directors.

Treasurer’s Report:

Nancy Harvey’s financial report is attached.

Moved by Joe, 2nd by Brian to accept report. Carried.


Discussion on whether or not $405,000.00 is enough money to replace the hall, with $5 million liability. Joe will look into the costs, to restore the hall.

Tennis Courts:

Change of use, for the hall, may require a sports assessor. This is to make sure the insurance lists the property correctly. Brian reports McDermott Insurance Inspector recently did a check on the hall.  The deficiencies found were addressed.


Bette Hansen – Approval of Minutes Feb 12th,2015 SLCA Directors Meeting.

Moved by Bet, seconded by Stan that the Minutes be adopted as read.

SL Community Hall:

Stan and Geo – Upper field restoration project gets approval, and McCoy Lake Excavating receives award to start.   They will begin soon. Stan will coordinate a contract.

–   Annual contract– grounds clean up date to be held end of May 2015, after McCoy Lake Excavating completes their contract. Geo will decide when the shrub pile burns. SLVFD to be asked to attend the fire for safety.


Community Garden:

Penny requests we determine where a community garden would best be located.  This should be decided before McCoy Lake Excavating completes work. The SL Parks Commission may offer assistance, with the garden.  The project may start in early 2016. Penny & Cathy Burkosky to investigate community garden plans.

–     Sun., June 7, 2015 date set aside, for a Community Hall Flea market 10:00 to 2:00 pm. Hall to be cleaned and possibly painted after sale.

–     Picnic tables still needing finishing touches, and will possibly be placed in the upper field area. Concrete tops and seats are needed for the existing frames. We recommend new wooden tables. School woodworking project suggested. Penny and Greg will check to determine the best solution.

  • Community Hall rentals and agreements, recommendation is to develop policies.
  • Plan is needed to determine best rental fees and agreements.   Penny discussed the situation and is hopeful that this group will come up with a policy to address user groups, and rental agreements through rent, in-kind or donations. Stan suggests the use of the Hall at least cover the heat and any cleaning expenses. Also suggests Rental charges include a small fee, with returnable damage deposit. Users must clean and restore the hall,to how they found it. Price determined after suggested improvements to hall.  More use of the hall is desirable and recommended. Brian and Greg to investigate hall floor repair and list of renovations, before the next meeting with costs if possible.

Moved by Rene seconded by Nancy that we set up a committee to make recommendations regarding hall rental rates and policies.   Carried. Nancy, Greg and Penny to sit on committee.


Committee to draft recommendations and email to the SLCA Directors for any changes or endorsement with timeline for comments.

  • Coulson FIFT lease agreement termination letter received. The SLC Hall basement is now available for other opportunities.
  • AVRA generous donation of $500.00, for upper field development, is acquired.

Moved by Brian, Seconded by Joe that the Regatta Ass’n have free use of the hall until the AVRA event for purposes of planning. Carried

  • Request from Dragon Boaters for Sproat Lake Hall basement storage. (Request attached.) Marilyn Oldfield spoke on behalf of the dragon boaters, to request boat storage. The recommendation is that the hall and field become a Sports Centre, for boating and other sports. The SLC Hall Rental Policy Committee will make the decision. Marilyn noted that Dragon boaters are paying $75.00 monthly, for equipment storage in PA.
  • Pickle Ball organization requests pickle ball courts be made on SL Hall tennis courts.

Marilyn Oldfield proposes a plan to revitalize the unused tennis courts. With minimal change, there’s room to develop two pickle ball courts (1/4 of tennis court size).  Cost expects to be minimal, but undetermined.  SLC Hall is also the perfect place for Pickle ball use, in the winter.

Moved by Joe, 2nd. by Bette to consider the proposal once the cost is determined. Carried


  • Paddling Club to use the front basement area for paddle storage. Darryl suggests, the advantages of having people at the hall throughout the year, on a weekly basis is good.  Mostly, because people can notify us of any existing problems.   Plus, it meets our insurance obligations. The SLC Hall grounds clean up saw Paddle Club members volunteering, with no costs associated.
  • SLCA Mission Statement:
  • To support sports in the community. Usage request and the Outrigger Canoe Change-out Races and AVRA supports August long weekend event. The SLC Hall rental policy committee is to determine hall rental costs. 
  • Community garden proposal:  Sproat Lake Landing chef and other community members, show an interest in the community garden project.  They still require a water source before the project becomes a reality.



SL Road Committee:

Joe VanBergen – Joe and Penny invite Cindy Corner to come.  In regards to: roads maintenance, line painting and to inquire about unused winter maintenance funding. Joe discusses the problems of not having centre lines. And Nancy shows concern over the stop sign, at Sproat Lake Landing. Bette provides the SLCA with pothole photos.

SL Parks Report:

Penny – The work for the new Bike Skills Park should complete by 2015. Cougar Smith Community Park day is July 4th, 2015. Faber Park/Block Watch Community 2014 is a very successful undertaking. Additionally, the Block Watch Committee looks to promote in other SL neighbourhoods. For the summer of 2015, Footprints Security receives the contract to patrol Faber Park, on Dickson Road. 



– Penny – Reports APC and public hearing for ACRD, and recommends Accessory Dwelling Units– Monday April 20th. This does not include recreational rentals.

  • A meeting with Tseshaht, on Bell Rd/Stuart Ave. water waits for approval, to move forward with public process. Process will require a referendum.


Old Business:

See above SL Hall

New Business:

See above SL Hall

SLCA Group Water Test:

Proposed for Monday April 20th, 2015 is now rescheduled for

May 4th, 2015 or May 11th, to accommodate newsletter. Paul volunteers to transport the samples to the lab.

Nancy suggests the next meet is held at the SL hall and to do a walk about.

Next meeting May 7th, 2015 at the SL Community Hall.

Motion to Adjourn at 9:25 pm. moved by Greg, 2nd Paul. Carried