SPROAT LAKE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
FEB. 28TH, 2022 AT 7:00P.M.
MEETING ID: 891 3512 3842 PASSCODE: 52089
Penny Cote, Director ACRD Sproat Lake, welcomed all residents of the Sproat Lake Electoral Area to the Sproat Lake Community Association (SLCA) Annual General Meeting. Due to COVID meeting is being held via zoom. Meeting was being Recorded. Thank you ACRD for hosting. This meeting is held on the traditional territories of the Hupacasath and the Tseshaht lands.
-Meeting called to order by Greg Steel, President,
-Adoption of the Agenda MOTION TO ACCEPT AGENDA AS PRESENTED BY GREG STEEL 2ND LARRY MCMAHON…CARRIED
-MINUTES OF THE MARCH 1ST, 2021 SLCA AGM
MINUTES ACCEPTED AS PRESENTED ON WEBSITE
–TREASURER’S REPORT: PRESENTED BY RENE LACOURSIERE
MOTION TO ACCEPT TREASURER’S REPORT AS PRESENTED BY RENE AND ON WEBSITE VERONIQUE JAGER 2ND GARY MCCAIG…..CARRIED.
DELEGATES, PETITIONS & PRESENTATIONS
ALBERNI-CLAYOQUOT REGIONAL DISTRICT (ACRD) PRESENTERS.
- ACRD STAFF (FINANCE) – TERRI FONG
- 2022-2026 Draft ACRD Financial Plan
- Draft budget copies available at the ACRD office, acrd.bc.ca or link on the SLCA website.
- Municipal Election slated for Oct. 15, 2022
- ACRD STAFF (PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT) – MIKE IRG
- UPDATES AVAILABLE ON acrd.bc.ca web site.
- 2021 Hatch report followed industry guide lines. Confirmed results of the Hydrology Flood Assessment for Sproat Lake.
- STUDY ON ACRD WEB SITE.
- Sproat Lake Zoning Bylaws – Next steps on proposed new by-laws is available on ACRD website now in March. This includes proposed dock by laws and will involve more public consultation. Clarify bylaw complaints into two classes based on seriousness of allegations.
Commercial Grow Ops in the ARL behind Stirling Arm and Faber Rd are incorporated into the new By Laws. Direct individual questions to Mike Irg.
- ACRD STAFF (ORGANICS COORDINATOR) – JODIE FRANK
- Report on Sort’nGo – ACRD web site. Following public consultation, the roadside collection in rural areas is not supported
MOSAIC HARVEST PLAN REVIEW AND TOURS – COLIN KOSZMAN, PAM JORGENSON & ROD CHRISTIE
- Report available here
- GARY McCAIG From the Sproat Lake Wilderness Society has over 100 members. Wish to preserve the Holy Cow trail. One of the most unique and widely used trail. Request that Mosaic reduce logging for two years to allow time to raise funds to compensate Mosaic. Mosaic not accepting proposal but have volunteered to leave some more trees. Looking to raise funds and support for the trails.
- Presentation on Sproat Lake Community Association Web site.
ROGERS CELLULAR SERVICE EXPANSION REPORT – SAMUEL SUGITA, CURTIS ROWE
- Improvements to cellular service along Hwy 4 from Port Alberni to Tofino.
- Six new towers between Port Alberni, Ucluelet and another tower in Tofino.
- Rogers moving forward without Gov’t subsidy, and without Telus’
- Completion 2023
SPROAT LAKE VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT (SLVFD) REPORT- MIKE CANN
- Thank you to Rogers for cellular expansion plan
- 119 calls last year.
- Closed Faber Road hall due to lack of volunteers.
- Ordered new Tanker for Sproat Lake Area.
- Greg thanked Fire Dept. for their dedicated volunteers & service
SPROAT LAKE PARKS AND TRAIL COMMISSION REPORT – JOE LAMOUREUX
- Presentation on SLCA web site.
SLCA ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The following submitted their names for positions:
- PRESIDENT: NANCY HARVEY
- VICE PRESIDENT: BRIAN COTE
- TREASURER: RENE LACOURSIERE
- SECRETARY: LINDA BOWERS
- DIRECTORS AT LARGE: GREG STEEL, MARK MARLEY, VERONIQUE JAGER, GEO MONRUFET, LAURALEE EDGELL, DANIELLE MARLEY, ROBERT LINDORES, LINDA LAROCHELLE
Objection received from Penny Paul regarding potential Conflict of Interest for Brian Cote since his wife is the current ACRD Area D Director. Wendy Thompson from the ACRD confirms that the ACRD and SLCA are separate entities that do not constitute a Conflict. Following further discussion, a motion was put forward.
MOTION BY CHRIS LAW TO ACCEPT THE NOMINATIONS FOR THE SLCA DIRECTORS FOR 2022 AS PRESENTED, 2ND JOE LAMOUREUX….CARRIED
- PENNY THANKS THOSE DIRECTORS STEPPING DOWN AND CONGRATULATES ALL THOSE ELECTED.
Sproat river weir plates and sweep. Penny reports that plates were not put back in last year. 2022 Catalyst will put plates in this Spring and out in the Fall. Penny will talk to Catalyst to make sure plates are done in a timely fashion.
ACRD Sproat Lake Housing needs reports is completed and available on the ACRD web site.
- Water source test bottles and requisition forms are available at the ACRD office for self-testing.
- SLCA group water testing will be considered in 2022
GREG STEEL THANKED EVERYONE FOR COMING OUT.